Live Stock Commission
Montana’s Pioneer Market
Back in 1934, the
Wolff Brothers left Denver, Colorado and landed in
Billings, Montana, striking up a partnership with
the late Arthur “Art” Langman. Originally, they
created a horse and mule auction and later added
cows and bulls. Located on First Avenue North, they
leased facilities from the Northern Pacific Railroad
and set up shop.
Billings Live Stock
Commission was the hub market as the Wolff-Langman
Partnership developed markets also in Great Falls
and Miles City, MT. Along with auctioneer, Norman G
Warsinske and cattle buyer, Lyle Devine, they
created a livestock merchandising endeavor that has
never been equaled.
In later years Art’s
son, the late A.J. “Jerry” Langman and Ralph
Cunningham, along with a fieldman by the name of
Conrad Burns, now Montana’s US Senator, continued
the BLS tradition. During the late 1970’s Scott
Langman, Jerry’s son, became the third generation
operator and moved the Billings Live Stock
Commission to its present location on the North
Frontage Road east of Billings.
In 1984 Scott sold the
business to Patrick K. Goggins, who operated it for
some years. Pat sold it to Jack McGuinness, who
operated it for sixteen years. BLS was purchased
in 2003 by Goggins, who totally rebuilt the
stockyards, revamping it from head to tail.
BLS sells cattle every
week on Thursdays for all classes. The 4th
weekend of each month, BLS becomes the “Horse
Selling Capital of Western America”. 500 to 1100
head sell on any given weekend.
The Northern Livestock
Video Auction base operation is also located at BLS.
Several video sales a year are staged to an
One of the oldest,
continuous livestock auctions in America, BLS is a
great tribute to its pioneer founders.